Friday, July 24, 2009

local art


I woke up this morning earlier to walk to yoga - finally I did it! I got to walk by the lake, hear the ducks quacking, see them take flight in a group over the glassy water. It was 6 am and there was activity all around. It took me the whole 15 minute walk to adjust and become present. All of the sights and sounds were sensory stimulation overload. I needed to focus on each step and make sure I was not going to step in a surprise left from Fido on the walkway. Through my yoga and tai chi practice, I am learning that there is always magic around the corner when you least expect it because you "show up" - even when it's most difficult. This morning was not particulalry hard to get up at 5:45 am, as opposed to the other day when I ambitiously set my alarm for 5:30 and it felt like a weight was dragging me back into deep sleep. But the surprise was there waiting for me anyway when I approached the Rec Center.

There are murals everywhere in Echo Park. Grafitti as well. The colors are especially bold and bright, paying homage to the local Latino heritage. On a brick wall of a buidling just west of the Rec Center, radiating blue and purple and gold, was Shiva with her swirling hands opening and welcoming me to my morning meditation. I wish I had my camera. And, I wish I would have listened to the voice this morning telling me to put the camera in my bag as I reloaded the battery from charging overnight. But ego stepped in and said, "I don't need the camera for anything, I'm just going to yoga." It's always that nudge that tells you what you need to know in order to be prepared. But I didn't listen.

It's ok. I am waking up. I am taking the step. Now I know. Always be prepared. And as I walked home, I happened upon so many other inspired would-be photos and then that is when I decided that my next endeavor will be a photography class. And I will treat myself to a good camera. It's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment